1. Contestants,female and male between the age of 21 and 35 (born between 1/7/1983 and 30/6/1997) are welcome and invited to apply.
2. In the pre-selection, all applicants have to send a recent recording of 1 opera aria of their choice in original language and with live piano or orchestra accompaniment. The applications will be reviewed until May 15. The jury will select contestants invited to participate in the 3rd International Competition for Young Opera Singers ZINKA MILANOV in Rijeka, Croatia. The contestants will be notified by e-mail and asked to pay the competition fee – 90€.
Application deadline: 20 April 2018
3. The competition is organized in three rounds:
• 1st round – 1 opera aria of candidates’choice – with piano accompaniment
• Semi-finals – 2 opera arias of candidates’choice – with piano accompaniment
• Finals – 2 opera arias selected from the list – concert accompanied by the Orchestra of the Croatian National Theatre “Ivan pl. Zajc” in Rijeka The conductor for the concert finale is maestro Marco Boemi.
* A singer may not repeat the same aria in different stages of the competition. All competition rounds are public..
4. The organizer will provide accompanists and an opportunity for rehearsal slot prior to each round of the competition. The applicants are allowed to bring their own accompanists at their own expense.
5. An international jury comprised of distinguished singers, conductors, opera company directors and music agents will evaluate the applicants according to the following criteria: technical preparedness, musicality, voice quality and artistic personality.
6. The decisions of the jury are irrevocable and are not subject to any kind of appeal.
7. Competition jury (2018):
The Zinka MilanovAwards Jury(2018):
- Silvana Sintow Behrens – director and mananger of Classicalia International Promotions & Management
- Rosemary Joshua – singer, artistic director of the Dutch National Opera Studio
- Brenda Hurley – pianist, director of the International Opera Studio in Zürich
- Fabrizio Melano – opera director, New York City
- Mariano Horak – artists’ manager, Agentur Caecilia, Zürich
- Ville Matvejeff – conductor, artistic director of the Savonlinna Opera Festival
- Vlatka Oršanić – singer, principal soloist of Slovenian National Theatre in Ljubljana, co-founder and director of the Zinka Milanov competition
Rijeka Opera Jury (2018):
- Giorgio Surian – principal soloist of the CNTIvan pl.Zajc Opera, professor at the Academy of Music Zagreb
- Marin Blažević – opera director, general manager and artistic director of the CNT Ivan pl. Zajc in Rijeka
- Petar Kovačić – principal cellist of Rijeka Opera Orchestra, Rijeka Opera Company director
1st prize – €3,000 | 2nd prize – €2,000 | 3rd prize – €1,000
Rijeka Opera Special Award for 2 singers: appearance in a project of the Opera Company of the Croatian National Theatre Ivan pl.Zajc in Rijeka, either opera production or a concert.
Audience Award: the Audience in the Finals votes for their favorite singer.
9. Participation fee is €90 payable to the following bank account:
Name of account holder: HNK Ivana pl. Zajca Rijeka, Uljarska 1, 51000 Rijeka
Bank: Zagrebačka banka
OIB /PIN/: HR 73674241432