1. Competitors, female and male between the age of 21 and 35 (born between 1/7/1980 i 30/6/1995) are welcome to apply.
2. In preselection, all applicants will have to send recent recording of 1 opera aria of their choice in original language and with live piano or orchestra accompainment.The applications will be reviewed until 15 of May by the jury who will select 80 contestants to be invited to participate in 2nd International competition for young opera singers ZINKA MILANOV in Rijeka, Croatia. The contestants will be notified by e-mail and then they will have to pay competition fee – 80€.
3. The competition is organized in three rounds:
• 1st round – 1 opera aria of own choosing – with piano accompaniment
• Semi-final round – 2 opera arias of own choosing – with piano accompaniment
• Final round – 2 opera arias selected from the enclosed list – concert accompanied by the Orchestra of the Croatian National Theatre “Ivan pl. Zajc” in Rijeka
* A singer may not repeat the same aria in the different stages of the competition. All competition rounds are public.
4. The organizer will provide accompanists and an opportunity for rehearsal prior to each round of the competition. The competitors are allowed to bring their own accompanists at their own expense.
5. An international jury comprised of distinguished singers, conductors, opera company directors and music agents will evaluate the competitors according to the following criteria: technical preparedness, musicality, voice quality and artistic personality.
6. The decisions of the jury are irrevocable and not subject to any kind of appeal.
7. Competition jury (2016):
Kms Olivera Miljaković – vocal pedagogue, Vienna State Opera
Katrin König – Casting director and Head of Opera administration and casting director of the Salzburg State Theatre
Mariano Horak – singer, musicologist, founder and artist manager of the Ammann-Horak Agency, Zürich
Alessandro Di Gloria – Casting Manager at the Teatro Massimo of Palermo
Carl Unander-Scharin – operatic tenor and composer, professor of Opera and technology at the University of Karlstad
Kalle Kanttila – Artist Manager and director of IOA-Management (International Opera Artists)
Vlatka Oršanić – singer, Slovenian National Theatre in Ljubljana, Head of Department of Voice Academy of Music, University of Zagreb, co-founder and director of the “Zinka Milanov” competition
1st prize – €3,000 | 2nd prize – €2,000 | 3rd prize – €1,000
Special award: appearances in the projects of the Croatian National Theatre “Ivan pl. Zajc” in Rijeka, either opera production or a concert.
9. Participation fee is €80 payable to the following bank account:
HNK “Ivana pl. Zajca” Rijeka | Uljarska 1 | 51000 Rijeka
OIB: HR 73674241432