1. Contestants between the ages of 21 and 36 (born between 1986 and 2001) are welcome and invited to apply.
2. When applying, candidates are required to send a recording of an aria of their choice made within the last year, in the opera’s original language and with live piano or orchestral accompaniment. Applicants must also pay an application fee of 10 € by no later than 15 May 2022.
After the pre-selection process, the selected candidates will be invited to participate in the 4th Zinka Milanov International Competition for Young Opera Singers in Rijeka, Croatia. The candidates will be notified by email latest by 1 June 2022 and asked to pay the registration fee of 90 € by no later than 15 June 2022.
Soloists who are citizens of Ukraine are not required to pay application and registration fees.
3. The competition is organized in three rounds:
• 1st round – 1 opera aria of candidates’choice – with piano accompaniment
• Semi-finals – 2 opera arias of candidates’choice – with piano accompaniment
• Finals – 2 opera arias selected from the list – concert performance with Rijeka Symphony Orchestra (RSO), conducted by maestro Simon Krečič.
* A singer may not repeat the same aria in different stages of the competition. All competition rounds are public..
4. The organizer will provide accompanists and an opportunity for rehearsal slot prior to each round of the competition. The applicants are allowed to bring their own accompanists at their own expense.
5. An international jury comprised of distinguished singers, conductors, opera company directors and music agents will evaluate the applicants according to the following criteria: technical preparedness, musicality, voice quality and artistic personality.
6. The decisions of the jury are irrevocable and are not subject to any kind of appeal.
7. Competition jury (2022):
The Zinka Milanov Awards Jury (2022):
- Cheryl Studer – dramatic soprano and vocal coach
- Iva Hraste Sočo – soprano and general manager of the CNT in Zagreb (from 1.9.2022.)
- Silvana Sintow Behrens – director and manager of Classicalia International Promotions & Management
- Patrick Wurzel – artistic director of the Chemnitz Theatre Opera
- Tobias Truniger – pianist, musical director of the Bayerische Staatsoper Opera Studio
- Christian Carlstedt – casting consultant for opera houses in Germany, Austria, Switzerland (Komische Oper Berlin, Staatsoper Hannover, Bühnen Bern, Stadttheater Klagenfurt)
- Mariano Horak – artist manager, Agentur Caecilia, Zürich
- Valentin Egel – chief conductor of Rijeka Symphony Orchestra and Opera of the CNT in Rijeka
- Vlatka Oršanić – soprano, vocal coach and director of the Zinka Milanov competition
1st prize – €3,000 | 2nd prize – €2,000 | 3rd prize – €1,000
Special Award of the Zagreb Opera – presented by Iva Hraste Sočo, appointed General Manager and Artistic Director of the Croatian National Theatre in Zagreb (as of September 1 2022).
Special Award of the Ljubljana Opera –presented by Marko Hribernik, Artistic Director of Opera of the Slovenian National Theatre in Ljubljana
Special Award of the Maribor Opera – presented by Simon Krečič, Artistic Director of Opera of the Slovenian National Theatre in Maribor
Special Award of the Rijeka Opera – presented by Valentin Egel, chief conductor of Rijeka Symphony Orchestra (RSO) and Opera of the Croatian National Theatre in Rijeka, and Marin Blažević, General Manager and Artistic Director of the Croatian National Theatre in Rijeka
Audience Award: the Audience votes for their favorite singer in the finals.
9. The application fee is 10 €, and the registration fee for candidates invited to the Fourth Zinka Milanov Competition for Young Opera Singers is an additional 90 €, for a total of 100 €. Payment is made to the account:
Name of account holder: HNK Ivana pl. Zajca Rijeka, Uljarska 1, 51000 Rijeka
Bank: Zagrebačka banka
OIB /PIN/: HR 73674241432
Application fees must be paid no later than 15 May 2022, and participation fees must be paid by 15 June 2022.
We will inform you of possibilities of payment by credit card by the end of March.